LinkedIn is the leading business-to-business social networking site for professionals, with over 800 million active members worldwide.
It is rapidly expanding every day by approximately two new members every second. A basic LinkedIn account is free; however, you can upgrade to a paid subscription to access more enhanced features. You can add a company profile to your LinkedIn account for free as well; the advantage of having a company profile offers public information about your company and can assist you in expanding your brand. These benefits and features are the same for all size companies.
Business professionals use LinkedIn in a variety of ways:
- Reconnect with former colleagues and classmates
- Connect to a network of professionals they can exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities with
- Find jobs
- Recruit job candidates
- Discover new clients
- Receive professional recommendations
- Join groups with like-minded individuals
- Establish expertise and credibility in their industry
- Promote their products, services, and events
- Advertise their business
It takes some time to set up and manage your account, but LinkedIn is a powerful tool for maximizing an online network’s potential.
One of the most significant rewards of a LinkedIn profile is that it gives you the means to manage your online identity, as LinkedIn profiles tend to rise to the top of search results. When you create a quality profile that reflects your professional interests, passions, and ambitions, as well as your work and education history, it allows you to attract like-minded professionals that may want to do business with you. That’s right! You will have new people wanting to connect with you and get to know you.
Five quick action steps that you can use to maximize your exposure on LinkedIn are:
- Insert an inviting and professional headshot in your profile, not a logo.
- Frequently update your status with current and relevant information so that you can stay top of mind with your connections.
- Customize your professional headline with captivating keywords that define the solutions you provide.
- Share the link to your website, plus add two other links you are allowed on your profile, such as your blog, e-commerce site, Facebook group, or Instagram. You can customize these links’ names by selecting the ‘other’ option instead of using the default name ‘my website.’
- State your preference of contact, email, or phone, and what you are interested in; consulting offers, career opportunities, or expertise requests.
Being open to communication is how you connect with other members and build relationships; this lays the foundation for referrals, business opportunities, and introductions. The key to success on LinkedIn is to establish clear goals and ensure that all your actions on LinkedIn work to achieve these goals.
To create a 100% complete LinkedIn Profile that showcases your value and generates quality leads, join Cheri in an upcoming ‘Level Up Your LinkedIn’ Workshop. Click for more information.
Author: Cheri Martin, So Social Visionary; Your Guide to Simplifying Social Media for Growth, Prosperity, and Success